Well, we have good news for you! One, it is not too expensive and you can have it! Two? It is fairly simple to do yourself if you feel like you are up to it. It is just a matter of knowing how to do it and having the right tools. Preparation is always a large part of it. We are not going to say that it is terrible simple because it is not. It can be done, though. So, let’s get started, shall we?
Choose Your Stain Or Shade
There are, of course, a few different variations of the faux wood grain finish. It all depends on whether you want it light, dark, or in the middle somewhere. The choice is your’s and you had better take it seriously. You are the one who will have to live with whatever you choose. So, it needs to make you happy. Your local paint supplier can help you out with this one.
Supplies You Will Need Aside From Paint
- Paint brushes and rollers of the appropriate size.
- Disposable rags or paper towels.
- A disposable cloth or plastic sheet.
- Masking tape.
- Disposable rubber gloves.
- A paint tray or two.
Preparation Is Good
- Make sure you cover or remove anything you do not want to be painted from the immediate area.
- Consider putting a primer coat on before you apply the faux wood grain finish. It could save you on the more expensive paint.
- Set your painting area up so that it is easiest for you.
- Apply a small amount of the finish to a select area to make sure you like it.
- Check the weather and make sure it will be good for about 4 days before painting. Mother nature will wreck your paint job with unspoken joy.
Learn The Strié Technique & Get Started
That technique is the key to giving your garage door that great faux wood grain finish. The plus side is that it is easy enough to find on Youtube. We would happily explain it to you here but it is much easier to learn it by looking at it. It is not something that you want to read about and then attempt to do. Once you have it down, you can apply your garage door’s new paint job. Make sure you let it dry for about two days.
You Could Have Someone Else Do It
A garage door service or a painters service can definitely handle this job as well. If you want your old garage door painted, then call a professional painter. If you want a new garage door that is already got the faux wood grain finish, call Stanley Garage Door & Gate Repair at 1-866-496-1889 . We can easily handle this sort of job. Plus, you will have a brand new garage door that won’t need any attention for quite some time. Stanley Garage Door & Gate Repair has you covered twenty-four hours a day, every day of the year.